Ingredients (serves 6)
3 medium bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
2 tablespoons DHC Núñez de Prado Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups short grain white rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 large onion
1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
1/2 pound lean ground meat
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon crushed marjoram
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped or diced, with juice
1/2 cup grated cheese*
Preheat oven to 350F.
1. Place bell pepper halves in baking dish; add a
half-inch of hot water and cover with foil. Bake for
2. In a heavy pan, heat olive oil, add rice, and sauté
until lightly brown and toasted. Remove from pan;
3. In the same pan, add the garlic, onion, and diced
pepper and sauté until softened. Add the ground
meat and continue to cook until browned, breaking
up meat with a spoon. (Drain fat if necessary.)
4. Stir in cumin, marjoram, chili powder, and salt.
Stir in reserved rice, chicken broth, and canned tomatoes.
5. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, and reduce heat
to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until all liquid
is absorbed and rice is tender.
6. Divide rice mixture between the peppers, sprinkle
grated cheese on top, and bake for 20 minutes.